Philippine tankers kick-of their campaign today at the 7th FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Budapest, Hungary from August 20 to 25, 2019.
This year’s team is perhaps the strongest team that has been assembled in the junior world stage; with members composed of Philippine Swimming Senior national record holders, junior national record holders and top swimmers in their respective events.
Senior national record holders Desirae Mangoang, Jaden Olson and Jerard Jacinto lead the pack, along with junior national record holders Jean-Pierre Khouzam, Miguel Barreto, Jeremiah Tandingan, and top long distance swimmer Adrian Eichler.
Mangaoang is the current seniors national record holder of the 50m, 100m and 200m Breaststroke events; while Olson is the current national record holder of the 50m Backstroke event, and shares the national record with Ryan Papa in the 100m Backstroke event.
Jacinto used to own the 50m Back national record, before Olson broke it two weeks ago.
Khouzam is the 16-18 junior national record holder of both 100m and 200m Butterfly events; Tandingan is the 14-15 junior national record holder of the 100m and 200m Free events; and Barreto is the 14-15 junior national record holder of the 200m and 400m Free events.
Eichler is the top swimmer in the 1500m Freestyle event, and is the 4x200m Free Mixed relay national record holder.
Of the seven swimmers, Mangaoang, Olson, Jacinto and Khouzam have cemented their spots at this year’s SEA Games national team; while Barreto, Eichler and Tandingan have a very strong chance of making it to this year’s team.
Today’s first day of action features Eichler and Barreto in the 400m Free, Olson and Jacinto in 100m Back, Mangoang in 50m Breast, and our boys quartet in the 4x100m Free Relay.
Below is Team Philippines’ complete schedule :
August 20, 2019 | Tuesday
Boys 400m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 4 Lane 3 : Miguel Barreto
– Heat 4 Lane 6 : Adrian Eichler
Girls 50m Breaststroke Prelims
– Heat 7 Lane 0 : Desirae Mangoang
Boys 100m Backstroke Prelims
– Heat 6 Lane 1 : Jaden Olson
– Heat 9 Lane 9 : Jerard Jacinto
Boys 4x100m Freestyle Relay Prelims
– Heat 3 Lane 9 – Philippine Team
August 21, 2019 | Wednesday
Girls 100m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 7 Lane 8 : Jeremiah Tandingan
Boys 100m Butterfly Prelims
– Heat 7 Lane 9 : Jean Pierre Khouzam
Men’s 200m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 6 Lane 7 : Miguel Barreto
– Heat 7 Lane 9 : Adrian Eichler
Mixed 4x100m Medley Relay Prelims
– Heat 2 Lane 3 : Philippine Team
August 22, 2019 | Thursday
Boys 50m Backstroke Prelims
– Heat 6 Lane 3 : Jaden Olson
– Heat 7 Lane 8 : Jerard Jacinto
Girls 100m Breaststroke Prelims
– Heat 4 Lane 0 : Desirae Mangaoang
Boys 800m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 2 Lane 2 : Miguel Barreto
August 23, 2019 | Friday
Boys 50m Butterfly Prelims
– Heat 6 Lane 2 : Jean-Pierre Khouzam
August 24, 2019 | Saturday
Boys 100m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 7 Lane 7 : Miguel Barreto
– Heat 9 Lane 8 : Adrian Eichler
Girls 50m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 7 Lane 7 : Jeremiah Tandingan
August 25, 2019 | Sunday
Boys 200m Backstroke Prelims
– Heat 3 Lane 1 : Jaden Olson
– Heat 4 Lane 0 : Jerard Jacinto
Girls 200m Breaststroke Prelims
– Heat 3 Lane 3 : Desirae Mangaoang
Boys 200m Butterfly Prelims
– Heat 3 Lane 2 : Adrian Eichler
– Heat 6 Lane 8 : Jean-Pierre Khouzam
Girls 200m Freestyle Prelims
– Heat 5 Lane 9 : Jeremiah Tandingan
Philippines’ junior team this year in Budapest is being mentored by coaches Sherwin John Santiago and Ma. Cristina Elena De Guzman; managed by PSI President herself Lani Velasco; and supported by the Philippine Sports Commission and Philippine Swimming Incorporated.